Donald L. Kreindler is a partner of Phillips Nizer LLP. He specializes in the resolution of business disputes - by negotiation where possible, and otherwise through trial in arbitration or in court.
Mr. Kreindler has tried cases in court and in arbitration which cover virtually the entire spectrum of business disputes, including disputes involving sales contracts, acquisition agreements, license agreements, brokerage agreements, partnership and shareholders’ agreements and employment contracts, copyright infringement claims (representing both copyrights holders and claimed infringers). He has achieved many notable trial victories, including one of the largest jury damages verdicts for copyright infringement of a fabric pattern; an arbitration award for breach of a joint venture agreement that represented the largest American Arbitration Association award rendered to that date in a textile/apparel controversy; a $16 million jury verdict to a designer for failure of his fragrance licensee to use best efforts to promote and sell the brand; and a $16.5 million arbitration award in favor of an architect discharged from a major architectural firm. Mr. Kreindler’s trial experience encompasses a wide variety of industries including textile and apparel, securities and commodities, real estate, entertainment, construction, finance, fragrances and cosmetics, architecture and accounting.
Mr. Kreindler has lectured and written extensively on arbitration, trial practice, copyright and trademark law, and the Uniform Commercial Code.
Peer Review Rating:
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® - Metro New York Edition (Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)), (2012 - 2014)
- Lawyers Association of the Textile and Apparel Industry,
Board of Governors, 1970 to present
- Adjunct Professor of Law, New York University Law School
- Law Committee, American Arbitration Association
- New York State Bar Association
Chairman of Arbitration Committee of the Federal and Commercial Section, 1989-94
- American Bar Association, Committee on Arbitration
- President, Olympic Tower Condominium, 1978-86 and 1996-2007
- Executive Director, Vendors Coalition for Equitable Retailer Practices
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, "Behind the Scenes of Fashion & Style", a full-day CLE Federal Bar Association seminar (February 17, 2014)
- Co-Author/Contributor, Fashion Law: A Guide for Designers, Fashion Executives and Attorneys, published by Fairchild Books (2010); Chapter 6 (a summary): Selling and Buying – Commercial Agreements in Fashion.
- Columnist, "The Legal Issue", appearing in "The Credit Executive", Bi-Monthly Newspaper of the New York Credit & Financial Management Association.
- Co-Author, "What the Business Executive Should Know About The Uniform Commercial Code", sponsored by New York Credit & Financial Management Association.
- Author, "What the Businessman Should Know About Commercial Arbitration", published by American Arbitration Association and New York Credit and Financial Management Association.
- Author, "Arbitration Practice Under Federal Law", published by American Bar Association, appeared in "The Forum", Volume 18, Number 2, Winter 1983.
- Author, "Write Your Own Remedy", published by American Bar Association, appearing in "Litigation Magazine", Fall 1983
- Author, "Arbitration as an Alternative to Litigation: Effect on Remedies" - Chapter on Commercial Damages Treatise, published by Matthew Bender & Co.
- Frequent Lecturer on Copyright, on Commercial Arbitration and on Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code at Programs and Seminars of American Bar Association, ALI/ABA, Practicing Law Institute, N.Y. State Bar Association, and American Arbitration Association, et al.
- Speaker, "Copyright and Trademark Law in the 1990's", an overview of the current status of the law with particular emphasis on the textile and apparel industries
- Speaker, “Copyrights, Trademarks and Trade Secrets in the 1990s”
Presentation to American Apparel Manufacturers Association
- Speaker, Textile Distributors Association, on "The Anatomy of an Arbitration - How to Get There Quickly and How to Win"
- Speaker, Shearson Lehman Brothers Legal Group on "Arbitrating Securities Cases at the American Arbitration Association"
- Speaker, American Institute of Architects, New York Chapter on "Dispute Resolution for Architects"
- Speaker, Textile Distributors Association, “Copyright Protection of Textile Patterns in the 21st Century”
- Speaker, Licensing Seminar “Pitfalls in Licensing as Reflected in Actual Cases”
- Speaker, “Chargebacks and the Saks Disclosure – Have They Changed the Retailer-Vendor Equation”
- Speaker, Vendors Coalition “Retailer/Vendor Relations: One Year After the Saks’ Disclosures”
- Speaker, Foundation for Accounting, Apparel and Textile Breakfast Seminar, “Chargebacks by Retailers and How They Affect Your Clients”
- Speaker, Senior Executive Seminar, presented by the Fashion Mannuscript, “Managing Your Business in a Business Environment”
- Speaker, American Apparel and Footwear Association, Chargeback Challenge Conference in Long Beach, California
- New York State Bar Association, Chairman, Committee on Arbitration, 1989 - 1994
- American Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, Member, Law Committee
- Lawyers Association of the Textile and Apparel Industry, President, 1978 - 1980