Restaurant, Food Service & Hospitality Group
Phillips Nizer’s representation of clients in the restaurant and hospitality industries is more than peripheral. Attorneys within our Restaurant, Food Service & Hospitality Group represent chefs, including chef-owners, restaurateurs, franchisors and franchisees, investors, and food and beverage suppliers. We also have an expertise in launching international hospitality and restaurant concepts in the United States.
Members of our team work closely with our clients to provide cost-effective, practical and efficient legal service in matters related to the launch, management and growth of their businesses, as well as the protection of assets and alleviating risk and liabilities.
Our clients consistently draw upon our experience in the following areas:
Corporate & Business Law
- Negotiation of contracts and financial participation: shareholder, investor and limited liability company (LLC) agreements, license agreements - restaurant and hotels, management agreements - restaurants and hotels, publishing agreements (cookbooks, hotel histories and photographic collections), franchise agreements, vendor, production and supply agreements
- Business transactions: partnership formations, acquisitions, financing, banking
- Licenses and permits: license applications, including liquor licenses, and defense of food and beverage violations
- Acquisition, sale or transfer of businesses and business assets
Intellectual Property Law
- Trademark and trade name investigation, registration and defense
- Copyright protection of logos and menus
- Trade secret protection of brands and proprietary products
Real Estate, Zoning and Environmental Law
- Local, state and federal land use and zoning ordinances, including building code and sanitation requirements
- Commercial leasing and real estate acquisition
- Landlord/Tenant disputes
- Premises liability
Labor & Employment Law
- Employment contracts and agreements, including non-compete agreements, and employee disputes
- Federal and State law compliance and defense, including employment law litigation, wage and hour litigation, labor relations and labor litigation and management compliance training
Our restaurant and hospitality clients reap the benefits of having access to attorneys in related practice areas within our firm who are experienced in other areas of law, including general and specialty Litigation, Arbitration, Product Licensing, Tax, ERISA & Employee Benefits, Immigration, Fashion, and Technology.