Employment & Labor Law
Intellectual Property, Fashion and Entertainment
- St. Johns University, J.D.
- Mount Holyoke College, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Dist. Ct., EDNY
- U.S. Dist. Ct., SDNY
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 2nd Cir.
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 3rd Cir.
Lauren J. Wachtler
Lauren Wachtler is Co-Chair of Phillips Nizer's Litigation Department where she focuses her practice on commercial and business litigation with extensive representation of business clients in a wide range of jury and non-jury trials in New York State and Federal Courts, including cases involving the fashion industry, finance, retailers, manufacturers, designers, business torts, and labor and employment-related issues.Lauren has been a steadfast champion for women’s causes, working to ensure that women have equal opportunities for professional growth and advancement and the tools they need to succeed. Her significant litigation experience has earned her a well-deserved reputation as a fearless advocate for her clients, both male and female.
As a member of the Women’s Leadership Board of the Harvard Kennedy School, the Council for the Sackler Center For Feminist Art of the Brooklyn Museum, and the lawyer for Same Sky, a trade initiative devoted to empowering HIV positive women who survived the genocide in Rwanda, Lauren continues to play an active role in charitable and not-for-profit organizations dedicated to advancing and empowering women and girls. As a former Chair of the Commercial and Federal Litigation’s Section of the New York State Bar Association, she has spearheaded a Women’s Initiative for that 3000 member Section of the Bar and is a co-author of the Report, "If Not Now, When? Achieving Equality for Women Attorneys in the Courtroom and in ADR," designed to advance women in the profession.
A recipient of its “Champion for Change” award, Lauren is a member of the Board of RiverSpring Health, Hebrew Home for the Aged in Riverdale, New York, and the founder of its pet therapy program, and spends Sunday mornings at the Home as a volunteer.
AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Peer Review Rating
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, "If Not Now, When? Achieving Equality for Women Attorneys in the Courtroom and in ADR" [This Report was unanimously adopted by the NYSBA’s House of Delegates on November 4, 2017]
- Where Are the Women Litigators? NYSBA Journal, May 2017
- The Message Was Empowerment, NYSBA Commercial & Federal Litigation Section Newsletter, May 18, 2016
- Panelist and Moderator for fashion-related topics presented at “Damsels in Design,” Parsons School of Design, MS&K CLE Provider (2014)
- CLE faculty member for numerous trial related CLE programs
- ABA, NYSBA, Lorman Education Services, MSNBC and Lawline
- Speaker and Opening Statements, “Evidence, Foundations and Objections,” New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) Young Lawyers Section Trial Academy (March 2011-2013)
- Review of Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts (in 4 Volumes), Robert L. Haig, ed. (2005) published in The NY Litigator (Summer 2006)
- Review of Depositions, Practice and Procedures in New York State Courts, Hon. Harold Baer Jr., Robert C. Meade, Jr. (2005)
- Review of the New York Trial Notebook, Edward L. Birnbaum, Carl T. Grasso and Hon. Ariel Belin (2005)
- Author, “The Opening Statement,” Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Newsletter (January 2002)
- Author of course materials for the Annual Meeting of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section (January 2002)
- Author, “Representing Clients In Automobile Accident Arbitrations,” The Practical Litigator, ABA’s Tort & Insurance Practice Section, (May 2001)
- Co-Author, “Report on Judicial Independence,” New York Litigator (1997)
Professional, Business, and Civic Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Former Chair, Commercial & Federal Litigation Section
- Former Member, Executive Committee and House of Delegates
- Women’s Leadership Board of the Kennedy School of Government of Harvard University
- Board Member, New York Bar Foundation
- Executive Council, Sackler Center for Feminist Art
- Board Member, Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (JALBCA)
- Board Member, RiverSpring Health, Hebrew Home at Riverdale
- PJI Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the NYSBA
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Fashion Law Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Commercial Litigation, 2018 - 2019)
- New York Super Lawyers "Top 5% of lawyers in New York", Top Women Lawyers (Business Litigation, 2006-2018)