PRACTICESCorporate & Business Law
German Practice (Deutsch)
Israel Practice (Hebrew)
- Univ. of Michigan Law School, JD
- Univ. of Michigan, BA (Economics)
- Univ. of Tübingen (Fulbright, DAAD and Ford Foundation Scholar)
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Cir.
- U.S. District Court, SDNY
- U.S. District Court, EDNY
- OLG Frankfurt/ M, for US and International Law
Steven H. Thal
Steven Thal acts as international counsel to the law firm of Phillips Nizer LLP with offices in New York and New Jersey. Mr. Thal has an extensive practice in international corporate and commercial transactions, with particular concentration in U.S. and European cross-border transactions. Mr. Thal advises German, Swiss and Austrian companies and individuals on cross-border transactions and United States legal issues. He has represented numerous large and mid-sized German-based multinational corporations.Mr. Thal speaks German fluently and is a visiting lecturer within the Faculty of Law at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (University of Munich) and Ruprecht-Karls -Universität Heidelberg (University of Heidelberg) where he conducts seminars on international business transactions. Additionally, he is a frequent speaker in the United States, Germany, Switzerland and Austria on various matters relating to international investments, corporate matters and U.S. litigation issues and has lectured at Euroforum Deutschland, Europäisches Forum Alpach, The Council of American States in Europe, The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes e.V. and U.S. Embassies and Consulates. He is also a Trusted Attorney to the German and Swiss Consulates in New York and the Austrian Trade Commission in New York.
Mr. Thal is the co-author of Phillips Nizer's quarterly German Newsletter “Zur Information” (please see below).
Mr. Thal received his J.D. and B.A. in Economics from the University of Michigan. He also studied law at Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen (University of Tübingen) in Germany as a Fulbright, DAAD and Ford Foundation Scholar and also political economics at the New School for Social Research in New York. Mr. Thal is admitted to practice in New York, and is also admitted as a foreign legal consultant in Frankfurt, Germany on matters of U.S. and international law.
Mr. Thal served as President of Der Deutscher Verein in New York from 2008 until 2010. This German Executive Club is 169 years old and serves as the meeting point for successful members of the German community in the New York Metropolitan area. Der Deutscher Verein is the second oldest social club in New York.
Mr. Thal is also a co-founder and current General Counsel to the German-American Partnership Program, which is the largest student exchange program between the United States and Germany, and is President of Städel Friends, Inc., organized in the United States to support the world-famous Städel Museum in Frankfurt, Germany.
Mr. Thal is listed in Who’s Who and Who’s Who in American Law and is a member of the American Council on Germany, The German American Chamber of Commerce in New York, The Brazilian American Chamber of Commerce, The German American Lawyers Association, The International Bar Association (Committee on International Sales) and the New York State Bar Association (Committee on International Law).
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Mr. Thal was of counsel in the New York and Frankfurt offices of the highly regarded law firms Latham & Watkins LLP.
German Newsletter „Zur Information“
- Rocket Dockets - Neue beschleunigte Gerichtsverfahren für Handelssachen in New York
- Successor Liability - Nachfolgehaftung beim U.S. Asset- und Stock Deal
- Personliche Haftung von Directors und Officers einer U.S.-Corporation
- Die Besteuerung deutsch-amerikanischer Erbfälle: Das deutsch-amerikanische Doppelbesteuerungsabkommen
- Handelsvertreter, Vertragshändler und Franchisenehmer: Gibt es einen Ausgleichsanspruch entsprechend §89 HGB auch in den USA?
- Steuerfalle LLC - Die steuerrechtliche Einordnung der U.S.-LLC in Deutschland durch den Rechtstypenvergleich
- Die zeitweise Entsendung deutscher Mitarbeiter in die USA – Arbeitsvertragliche und sozialversicherungsrechtliche Gestaltung
- Die Führung einer U.S.-Corporation - Gemeinsamkeiten und Unterschiede im Vergleich zur deutschen AG
- Sexuelle Belastingung am Arbeitsplatz in den USA - Wie sollte sich der Arbeitgeber verhalten?
- Jumpstart Our Business Startups Crowdfunding und der JOBS Act
Peer Review Rating
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- The American Council on Germany
- Der Deutscher Verein (New York)
Foreign Language Competencies