- Fordham University School of Law, LL.M. (2002)
- New England School of Law, J.D., cum laude (1998)
- The American University, M.B.A. (1994)
- Case Western Reserve University, B.S. (1993)
Home » » Attorneys » » Courtney L. Birnbaum
Courtney L. Birnbaum
New York Office
phone: (212) 841-0519
fax: (212) 262-5152
Courtney Birnbaum is a counsel in Phillips Nizer’s Corporate & Business Law and Real Estate departments advising businesses and individual clients on contract, transactional and day-to-day legal matters. She brings a business-oriented perspective to her work, informed by her legal experience, her M.B.A. in Finance and Management, and a Master’s degree in Corporate Law.
Courtney handles start-up, structuring, restructuring and governance matters, financing deals (debt and equity), day to day operational legal and contact matters, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, dissolution, real estate activities (commercial and residential, transactional and leasing), intellectual property matters (licensing and transactional), and consignment for jewelry, fashion and art industry clients. She works closely with owners, financiers and executives on a daily basis and helps identify needs, build action plans, and implement structures, strategies and policies.
A sample of some of Courtney's recent representation includes:
- The purchase and transport of a private airplane from the US to the Czech Republic by an international company that produces high-precision grinding machines.
- Advising and structuring US entities, operations and retail locations for an international fashion designer.
- US counsel for a stock purchase and documents in connection with the purchase by a Canadian venture capital client of a chocolate manufacturer and retail company.
- Representing the founder of a retail and online baked goods company for an employment and licensing agreement, and publishing and equity negotiations after venture capital financing.
- Review and negotiation of terms for investment in a theater production by a high net worth client.
- Representing a video dance instruction company in restructure, and drafting agency and talent agreements.
- Represented a principal of a real estate brokerage firm in a shareholder buyout and new investment.
- Representing a Czech parent company (glass design company) in restructuring its US subsidiary.
- Drafted new operating agreements, advised on structure for ownership and new investment for a museum in New York City.
- Advised a media client regarding a new term bank loan and organizational structure.
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Courtney was with the firm of Cohen Tauber Spievack & Wagner P.C.