- Yale Law School, J.D., 1990
- Fordham University, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1987
- New York
- U.S. District Ct., SDNY
- U.S. District Ct., EDNY
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 2nd Cir.
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 3rd Cir.
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 9th Cir.
Home » » Attorneys » » Mark M. Elliott
Mark M. Elliott
New York Office
phone: (212) 841-0741
fax: (212) 262-5152
Mark Elliott is a commercial litigator and Co-Chair of the firm's Litigation Department. He also is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. His practice focuses on creditors’ rights, director and officer liability, antitrust, bankruptcy, securities, trade secrets and complex contractual disputes. His matters are characterized by their complexity, high financial exposure and sensitivity.
Mark represents a wide client base with a focus on the financial services industry. He regularly represents major financial institutions in complex business litigations. He often represents institutional creditors in high-profile insolvency matters involving fraud and complex defalcations. Mark frequently serves as chair of the New York City Bar Association CLE panel on bankruptcy litigation.
Mark also advises clients on antitrust law and related matters, and he assists clients with antitrust compliance programs. Mark recently was appointed to a 3-year term as a member of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
Mark serves as the Litigation Group Co-Chair of Ally Law (ally-law.com).
Mark is the chair of the City of White Plains Board of Ethics in Westchester County, New York. In 2016, he was appointed by the Mayor of White Plains to the City's Judicial Screening Committee.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of LandAmerica Financial Group and the LFG Liquidation Trust (470 B.R. 759). Obtained favorable settlement for the Trust in litigation against former officers and directors in connection with their fiduciary duties and the failure of the auction rate securities markets.
- Represented multiple financial institutions in defense of adversary proceedings involving alleged preferential transfers in connection with Enron’s purchase of its commercial paper, including obtaining summary judgment for certain defendants based on Bankruptcy Code 546(e)’s “safe harbor” (Enron Creditors Recovery Corp. v. Alfa, S.A.B. de C.V., 651 F.3d 329 (2d Cir. 2011)).
- Representing multiple defendants in “clawback” litigation brought by the Trustee of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Represented major creditor in the City of Detroit Bankruptcy (Law360, 4/11/14, “Detroit’s $85M UBS, Merrill Lynch Swaps Deal Wins Approval”).
- Represented secured certificate holders in the Delta (370 B.R. 552; 381 B.R. 57; 608 F.3d 139) and United Airlines bankruptcies with respect to aircraft creditor rights and defense against antitrust allegations. Obtained favorable settlements for multiple Delta creditors.
- Represented Swiss artist Christoph Buchel in connection with his Copyright Act and other claims against the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. This dispute was covered extensively by The New York Times and The Boston Globe.
- Obtained a favorable jury trial verdict for Westchester County, New York in a $40 million federal constitutional claim in connection with a contract award for a public waste water treatment plant.
- Obtained summary judgment in law firm dispute pertaining to equity partnership and compensation issues. (New York Law Journal, 3/15/06)
- Obtained judgment for Hyundai Engineering against Republic of Iraq and Central Bank of Iraq in connection with construction and funding of a power station in Iraq (794 N.Y.S. 2d 327 (1st Dept. 2005); 2003 WL 22251349 (S.D.N.Y)).
- Representation of multiple companies and individuals in actions against former employees regarding alleged theft of trade secrets, fiduciary duty and non-compete agreements. (Law360, 3/28/14, "Aon Seeks To Ban Alliant From Soliciting Its Employees")
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® - Metro New York Edition (Business Litigation), (2016, 2017)
- American Bar Association
- Assn. of the Bar of the City of New York (City Bar of New York)
- Lawyers' Committee of Inner-City Scholarship Fund
- New York State Bar Association