Regina E. Faul is a partner in and chairs the Labor & Employment Practice at Phillips Nizer LLP. She has distinguished herself for over 30 years representing clients in the areas of employment law and labor law. Ms. Faul’s practice focuses on advising management clients on day-to-day employee relations, representing management in connection with collective bargaining, employment litigation, including wage and hour litigation, acting as insurance defense counsel, and conducting presentations and training for our clients’ workforces.
General Employment Litigation
Ms. Faul has successfully defended clients before state and federal courts and in arbitration proceedings. She also has successfully resolved matters prior to trial through negotiated settlements. Ms. Faul’s extensive experience includes litigation involving:
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- New York Labor Laws
- New York State and City Human Rights Laws
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Fair Housing Act
Ms. Faul proactively engages with employers regarding compliance with federal, state and city laws and drafting and implementing effective handbooks, policies and procedures, restrictive covenants, and workplace health and safety programs.
Wage & Hour
Wage and hour litigation has been a cornerstone of Ms. Faul’s legal practice. She is frequently called upon by employers to advise companies in connection with:
- Assessing company policies and procedures
- Wage and hour compliance
- Federal and New York Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
- New York State Wage Theft Prevention Act
- Providing effective and efficient counsel in implementing corrective action to avoid potential government investigations and class action litigation.
Proactive and ongoing employer and employee training is a highly effective tool in preventing costly and, sometimes, contentious court proceedings. Ms. Faul creates individualized presentations and trainings for employers on workplace topics, including:
- Whistleblowers and retaliation
- Investigating employee complaints
- Employee discharge and discipline
- Fair housing
- Government subsidy programs
- Social media policies
- Various other workplace policies
Private Client and Insurance Defense
Ms. Faul has successfully defended private clients as well as acting as Insurance Defense Counsel (EPLI, D&O, E&O) for many national insurance carriers.
Unions and Collective Bargaining
Ms. Faul counsels business owners regarding dealings with unions and union benefit funds. She represents clients from the early stages of union organizing, to collective bargaining negotiations and navigating through collective bargaining agreements, including employee discipline, wage compliance, and staffing needs.
Ms. Faul defends and counsels clients in connection with ERISA litigation by benefit funds to collect contributions or their assessment of withdrawal liability. She often works closely with members of our firm’s Real Estate Practice representing owners and operators of hotels, residential apartment buildings and commercial buildings with respect to the labor and employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, sales, reorganization and reductions in staffing.
Ms. Faul is frequently called upon as a commentator regarding local and federal labor and employment law, including, most recently, with the Associated Press and Nation’s Restaurant News.
- Named to the Crain's New York Business inaugural 2018 Leading Women Lawyers in NYC list