Michael Fischman is a partner in the New York office whose practice focuses on civil litigation and arbitration. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of complex commercial matters from the pre-complaint stage through trial and appeal. Mr. Fischman’s clients have included well known fashion and home furnishing designers and manufacturers, diamond businesses and trade organizations, women’s wear licensing agents, natural gas distributors, generic pharmaceutical suppliers, computer parts suppliers and multi-national petrochemical companies. His representations have involved disputes over insurance coverage, licensing, copyrights, trademarks, shareholder, buy-sell and employment agreements and chargeback disputes with national retailers. Mr. Fischman also has experience in the areas of litigation management and computer assisted litigation support technologies and electronic discovery.
Highlights of Mr. Fischman's representative matters include:
- Co-lead counsel for estate of founder of importer/distributor of active pharmaceutical ingredients for generic drugs in corporate matters and in lengthy state court bench trial in defense of claims for fraud and breach of shareholder’s agreement.
- Co-lead counsel for designer licensor in federal jury trial involving a contract and copyright dispute arising from breach of licensing agreement.
- Counsel for manufacturers and wholesalers of designer women’s and men’s apparel products in various litigations over chargebacks and penalties issued by national retail stores.
- Counsel to famous men’s wear designer in lawsuit over breach of trademark purchase agreement.
- Counsel for importer/distributor of active pharmaceutical ingredients company in appeal on claim by former employee/shareholder for breach of employment agreement.
- Counsel for home furnishing manufacturer in license and copyright litigations in state and federal court.
- Counsel for estate of purported investor in jewelry business over shareholder agreement.
- Counsel for former executive of clothing manufacturer in arbitration over stock purchase agreement.
- Counsel for licensing agents in contract dispute over multi-million license for women’s wear designer trademark in Japan.
- Co-counsel to policyholder in insurance coverage declaratory judgment action arising from a California natural gas pipeline explosion.
- Counsel to foreign manufacturer of pharmaceutical product in licensing dispute with United States distributor.
Mr. Fischman has written on subjects relating to insurance coverage litigation, and has co-authored several articles including, "Divided Loyalty, Conflicts Foreseeable," which appeared in the November, 1989 issue of The National Law Journal and “E is Key – Electronic Discovery”, which appeared in April 17, 2006 issue of The New York Law Journal.
Fashion Law Blog:
- The Fashion Industry Law Blog, includes posts published by the members of the Fashion Law Practice of Phillips Nizer LLP and attorneys in other related practice areas.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (New York City Bar)
- American Bar Association (Member, Insurance Law Section)
Foreign Language Competencies: