Eileen D. Millett is a partner at Phillips Nizer LLP where she practices in the fields of environmental law, land use, permitting and litigation.
- Counsels national and international clients regarding environmental risks in complex environmental enforcement proceedings, including OSHA audits
- Advises clients on land use, environmental due diligence, remediation, brownfields, superfund and hazardous waste, litigation and administrative proceedings
- Counsels clients on real estate transactions and environmental compliance, permit issues, and assists them with avoiding adverse enforcement actions by federal, state or local government agencies
- Counsels clients on avoiding risk by adopting sustainable development policies and climate change initiatives
Ms. Millett is a former general counsel to the Interstate Environmental Commission, a tri-state water quality authority. She was a former staff counsel to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, a member of the Hazardous Waste Task Force, and served as a New York State Assistant Attorney General, NYC Police Department Assistant Deputy Commissioner, NYC Department of Personnel Inspector General, and as an Assistant District Attorney for the Borough of Queens.
- Civil environmental enforcement action: Negotiated $5MM federal consent order settlement with multiple supplemental environmental projects for global pharmaceutical company following major chemical explosion at pesticide manufacturing facility.
- Air contamination claim: Resolved toxic air emission claims against a global sports and fashion business.
- New York State Superfund matter: Negotiated a consent decree for a multinational document imaging and production company, a potentially responsible party (PRP) ordered to pay for investigation and cleanup; advised on contribution rights against the former bankrupt site owner.
- Environmental due diligence: Handled environmental due diligence for a tax credit syndicator, reviewing environmental site assessments (ESAs) and advising on regulatory compliance for redeveloped distressed properties throughout New York City.
- OSHA compliance audit: Counseled a cosmetics manufacturer on developing material safety data sheets and a written hazard communication program to classify potential hazards of chemicals, communicate protective measures, and engage in employee training.
For several years, as a Visiting Professor of Practice at Syracuse University College of Law, Ms. Millett taught environmental law and regulatory law and policy for student attaining joint degrees in law and public policy. She is a Regent of the American College of Environmental Lawyers (ACOEL), a professional association of preeminent lawyers who practice in the field of environmental law, recognized by their peers as the best practitioners in their field. Ms. Millett is a member of the board of editors of The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, and on the ALI-CLE Environmental Advisory Panel. She is a former Trustee and Secretary of the Environmental Law Institute (ELI), an international independent research and education center that advances environmental protection.
Ms. Millett is a member of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) House of Delegates. She is a former editor of the New York State Bar Association Journal and a former member at-large of the Executive Committee of the Environmental Law Section. She is a former Co-Chair of the NYSBA Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar and a member of the NYSBA Task Force on Climate Change. She has also chaired the New York City Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee.
Ms. Millett has written and coauthored articles for legal and business publications; is a member of the faculty of HalfMoon Seminars, where she regularly offers her environmental overview for engineers; and is a contributor to several business and industry publications, including the New York Law Journal, Practical Real Estate Lawyer, New York Real Estate Journal, Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, Westlaw Journal Environmental, and Environmental Law in New York.
- “Department of Justice Hitches Environmental Crimes to Worker Safety Violations,” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, July 2016
- New York State Bar Association Journal, September 2013, Special Issue on Future of Legal Education, Co-editor;
- “Will Fracking Become the Exception to the Rule of Local Zoning Control in New York State,” Westlaw Journal Environmental, August 7, 2013;
- “D.C. Circuit Decision Could Determine Reach of EPA Greenhouse Gas Rules,” Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, June 12, 2012;
- “Passive Building,” New York Law Journal, July 6, 2009;
- “Green Building for Dummies: What is LEED Certification?” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, January 2009;
- “Owners Required to Disclose Air Contamination Test Results,” New York Real Estate Journal, October 14, 2008;
- “So You Want to Build a Green Building?” New York Real Estate Journal, September 9, 2008;
- “Energy Primer for Environmental Professionals,” New Jersey Lawyer, June 9, 2008;
- “Interstate Compacts and Water Pollution Control in the New York Region,” Environmental Law In New York, April 2003.
- “New Liability for Workplace Safety Violations: Raising the Environmental Stakes Under the MOU and the Yates Memo,” American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Planner and Speaker, December 14, 2016.
Board of Editors:
- Practical Real Estate Lawyer
Board of Advisors:
- American Law Institute Environmental Law Advisory Panel
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute
- American Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- American Bar Association, Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, member of Board of Regents and of Executive Committee
- Environmental Law Institute, former Trustee and Secretary
- Jewish Child Care Association, former Trustee
- Municipal Art Society Law Committee, former Member
- New York City Bar Association, Chair: Environmental Law Committee; Energy Committee (2002 -2005)
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute, member Board of Advisors
- NYS Sustainability and Green Procurement Advisory Council, Executive Order #4 by gubernatorial appointment
- NYSBA: Member of the House of Delegates
- NYSBA: Environmental Law Section Executive Council and Working Group on Judiciary Law §470, office requirement for non-NY residents
Foreign Language Competencies: