- Tulane University, J.D., 2006, cum laude
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 2001 (with honors), Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- U.S. Dist. Ct., EDNY
- U.S. Dist. Ct., SDNY
Home » » Attorneys » » Julian D. Perlman
Julian D. Perlman
New York Office
phone: (212) 841-0566
fax: (212) 262-5152
Julian D. Perlman focuses his practice on dispute resolution. He is an experienced general commercial litigator, and focuses on inter- and intra-company disputes, often involving business founders, entrepreneurs, and other investors. Julian advises clients on antitrust, competition, and consumer protection issues and frequently publishes on these topics. He also assists clients with recovery in cases of fraud, and is experienced with using the bankruptcy and fraudulent conveyance laws to do so. Julian advises emerging companies, executives, and artists on litigation matters, real estate disputes, corporate formation and governance issues, shareholder relationships and agreements, intellectual property rights and related considerations, competition, and general employment matters, and serves as general counsel to several businesses. His clients include financial institutions; fashion manufacturers and retailers; consumer goods manufacturers and retailers; real estate owners and operators, high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs, and other investors; producers, filmmakers, photographers, illustrators, and other visual artists; and non-profit entities and trade associations.
Julian understands that his clients’ goals are to resolve their disputes, and that litigation is a tool and not an end. Accordingly, Julian endeavors to work with his clients to resolve their disputes without resort to litigation whenever possible. Importantly, while many business disputes comes down to money, Julian is particularly adept at handling matters where interpersonal dynamics have been the primary impediment to a resolution. When litigation becomes inevitable, Julian has unique experience working on matters, on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, which have gone all the way and been decided by judges, juries, or arbitrators. Julian brings this practical trial experience and view of sustained litigation to all aspects of his dispute resolution practice, from pre-filing demand letters to post trial briefings and appeals.
- Obtained injunctive relief and protected the client’s trade secrets after a potential corporate merger was scuttled, and the potential acquiring party instead poached key executives from its target.
- Represented a one hundred year-old, family-owned building materials manufacturer in an unfair competition dispute with its competitor.
- Represented the court-appointed Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Litigated a dispute between the founders of the world's largest privately-held beverage company, which culminated in a 20-day bench trial in New York state court.
- Represented an important U.S.-based pharmaceutical company in the arbitration following breach of contract claims over its life-saving cardiovascular product.
- Represented photographers, illustrators, and other visual artists in a high-profile class action alleging copyright infringement by the world's largest Internet search engine and its digital book project.
- Counseled a major financial institution that had invested $2.4 billion into the world's largest money market fund when the fund “broke the buck.”
- Represented a private equity firm in arbitration after it acquired a major holding in a prominent women's fashion brand.
- Represented the worldwide governing body for men's tennis when it was sued for changing the date and level of one of its member tournaments, in a landmark antitrust jury trial victory.
- Advised a major financial institution regarding potential litigation risks when internal concerns arose about its accounting treatment of derivative products.
- Drafted and filed a lawsuit on behalf of a major U.S. sports league against a foreign company that had threatened to default on its debt obligations and obtained payment in full within hours of the filing.
- Represented U.S. hockey team and player in litigation by a Russian hockey club.
- Asserted antitrust and unfair competition claims when the C.E.O. of one of the largest waste disposal companies in the world allegedly made disparaging remarks regarding the client and engaged in other anticompetitive conduct.
- Represented an Egyptian national with respect to minor criminal charges that had the potential to negatively affect his immigration status, and was successful in having those charges dismissed.
- Represented African immigrant seeking asylum in the United States in one of the longest ongoing asylum cases in the United States, and counseled the client not only with respect to his legal claims, but also helped the client obtain treatment for chemical dependencies that were the result of abuse and torture in his home country.
- "Questions Abound: FTC Antitrust Actions Under the New Administration," Deal Lawyers, January-February 2017
- "Potential Effects of a Trump Administration on Corporate Boards," Bloomberg BNA, December 16, 2016
- “The Antitrust Point of View of Hillary Clinton,” The Legal Intelligencer and Law.com, October 2016
- “Donald Trump’s Antitrust Entanglements: Part 2,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 2016
- “Antitrust, Appointments and Presidential Front-Runners: Part 1,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 2016
- “Scalia’s Antitrust Legacy: Part 2, The Dissenting Opinions,” The Legal Intelligencer and Law.com, May 2016
- “Supreme Court Nominee Garland: An Assessment of Antitrust Expertise,” The Legal Intelligencer and Law.com, April 2016
- “Justice Scalia’s Antitrust Legacy: Part 1, The Majority Opinions,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2016
- “FTC Addresses Sharing Economy Following June Workshop” (October 7, 2015; posted to Antitrust Advocate blog)
- “Apple’s Streaming Music Service Under Investigation” (May 7, 2015; posted to Antitrust Advocate blog)
- “Google Faces European Antitrust Investigation” (April 16, 2015; posted to Antitrust Advocate blog)
*The representative sample of blog posts above were published while at BakerHostetler LLP.
- Selected as a "Rising Star" in 2016 by Super Lawyers®
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association: Empire State Counsel Award