Jeffrey Shore is counsel in the Litigation Department at Phillips Nizer, where he focuses his practice on civil and commercial litigation. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of matters from the pre-complaint stage through trial and appeal. His representations have involved contract disputes (including commercial, property-related (including environmental), insurance, bank loan, construction and other business-related contracts), torts (including defamation, professional liability and other business-related torts) and Constitutional Law issues (including First Amendment and Equal Protection issues).
Mr. Shore has had great success in efficiently and favorably resolving many of his client’s cases prior to trial either through settlements or motions. He also has represented clients in several cases which have been successfully decided after a trial by either a jury or a judge, as well as cases which have been decided on appeal.
Highlights of Mr. Shore’s representative matters include:
- Successful defense of a national retailer against multi-million dollar contract and tort claims (including defamation and tortuous interference with contract), resulting in plaintiffs’ voluntarily discontinuance of action at initial stage of litigation;
- Successful defense of a nationally-known individual and real estate entity, as well as condominium board members, against multi-million dollar tort claims (including defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress) brought by condominium resident, resulting in dismissal of claims following motion, which dismissal was successfully upheld on appeal;
- Successful defense of a mall owner against claims brought by retail tenant relating to commercial lease dispute over tenant’s signage and tenant’s attempt to enjoin multi-million dollar mall renovation project, resulting in dismissal of the lawsuit following trial in New York State Supreme Court, which judgment was upheld on appeal;
- Successful defense of a residential building owner against lead paint-related personal injury tort claims, resulting in dismissal of claim following summary judgment motion;
- Successful defense of a residential building owner against claims by excess liability insurer relating to when loss occurred and whether owner was partially liable, resulting in arbitration decision in favor of owner;
- Successful representation of various companies in disputes with general liability and property insurers;
- Successful representation of a national bank on numerous commercial loan defaults, resulting in liability judgments in favor of bank following pre-trial motions;
- Representation of policy holder in environmental insurance coverage litigation;
- Representation of individual homeowners in claims relating to construction dispute, resulting in successful settlement of action;
- Representation of a Fortune 100 entity relating to construction dispute with its owner’s representative and construction company, resulting in successful settlement of action;
- Representation of individuals in claim against bank and security company relating to items stolen from bank’s safe deposit boxes, resulting in successful settlement of claims;
- Pro Bono representation of New York City street artists in lawsuit against the City of New York seeking to enjoin the City's enforcement of rules limiting the sale of artwork in certain New York City park areas.
- Pro Bono representation of two individuals sued for defamation by a developer they publicly opposed (a SLAPP suit) resulting in dismissal of case and award of attorneys' fees.
Mr. Shore is a graduate of Fordham University Law School, where he served as senior articles editor on the Fordham International Law Journal. He received his undergraduate degree from the State University of New York at Albany. Mr. Shore is licensed to practice in New York and Florida.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (City Bar of New York)