Jeffrey Q. Smith is engaged in a national litigation practice with particular concentrations in securities, antitrust/trade regulation and other complex commercial cases. In addition to trying cases and arguing appeals, Mr. Smith is experienced in the supervision and management of large cases, including class actions, multi-district litigations and qui tam cases. He is well versed in various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation, and maintains an active counseling practice designed to help clients avoid and/or minimize litigation risks.
In securities matters, Mr. Smith has defended broker-dealers, securities issuers, and directors and officers of such issuers in connection with suits involving the equity, fixed income and derivatives markets. He is experienced in litigating claims arising under the ‘33 Act, the ‘34 Act, the Advisers Act, and a variety of other federal and state statues and the common law. He also represents clients who are the subject of investigations conducted by the SEC and FINRA.
Mr. Smith has litigated a number of important antitrust cases involving claims arising under the Sherman Act, the Clayton Act, the FTC Act and a variety of state law counterparts. The clients in these cases have been both plaintiffs and defendants engaged in a wide variety of industries, including investment banking, chemical manufacturing, health care, ocean shipping, petroleum fueling and refining, and textile manufacturing. He also represents clients involved in grand jury and civil investigations conducted by the government.
Finally, Mr. Smith has litigated cases involving consumer lending, employment, intellectual property, health care reimbursement, merger agreements and state taxation. Many of these cases presented issues of first impression or industry-wide significance.
- Listed, Benchmark Litigation, National Securities Star
- Ranked, Chambers USA, Securities Litigation, Nationwide (2010–2016) and New York (2006–2016)
- Ranked, Legal 500, Financial Services Litigation and Shareholder Litigation; Dispute Resolution: Securities Litigation (Defense) (2016)
- Ranked, The Best Lawyers in America, Securities, Commercial and Antitrust Litigation (2005–2018)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Securities Litigation and Antitrust Litigation, New York Metro (2006–2017)