PRACTICESCorporate & Business Law
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
- Yeshiva University, B.S.
- New York
Edward H. Schauder
Ed Schauder is a partner in the Corporate & Business Law Practice and heads the Sports Law Practice at Phillips Nizer LLP. He has more than 30 years of experience handling complex corporate and finance transactions, and throughout his career, has also been intimately involved in both the legal and business side of the sports and entertainment industries.Ed advises clients in mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, public and private debt and equity offerings, PIPE transactions leverage buyouts, SEC compliance and general corporate planning.
In his sports and entertainment area of practice, Ed has conceived and implemented a unique concept in sports marketing. By forming entities made up of members of championship sports teams or professional athletes linked together by similar accomplishments, he created programs to protect and market their intellectual property, negotiating licensing, corporate sponsorships, endorsements and other agreements on their behalf, Ed has represented some of sport's most beloved and storied teams, including the 1969 Mets, 1977 Yankees and the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team. Ed specializes in matching companies of all sizes with athletes and professional sports leagues, and has negotiated numerous endorsement, sponsorship and licensing deals with iconic athletes and brands. He represents several renowned artists, athletes and technology companies in connection with the minting and sale of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), including the analysis of related legal issues.
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Ed served as General Counsel and Executive Vice President of Licensing at Steiner Sports, the leading authority and producer of authentic hand-signed collectibles, and the official memorabilia provider of the New York Yankees, the New York Knicks, former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter, New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., the New York Rangers, among others.
Ed is a contributing editor and writer for Professional Sports and the Law, has taught several CLE sports seminars for lawyers on Lawline and has been a frequent television and radio guest include appearances on Good Morning America, Richard French Live and WFAN radio.
Charitable and pro bono representations
- Board of Directors of the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York.
- Co-Founder of the not-for-profit Negro League Baseball Players Association and served as its General Counsel.
- General Counsel to the 2011 World Police and Fire Games, and was responsible for negotiating sponsorships, endorsements, licensing, marketing and venue agreements.
- President of the Free Synagogue of Flushing.
Foreign Language Competencies
- New York City Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® - New York Metro Edition (Business/Corporate) 2020
- 2016 Ellis Island Medal of Honor recipient