Alan Behr is a partner in the Corporate & Business Law Department and Intellectual Property Practice, and chairman of the Fashion Practice at Phillips Nizer LLP. Mr. Behr concentrates his practice on international intellectual property, fashion and entertainment law. He represents established and up-and-coming businesses and individuals in the fields of electronic entertainment, emerging technologies, publishing, fashion, and consumer products.
In addition to his intellectual property and technology practice, Mr. Behr, a trained mediator, maintains an arbitration and mediation practice handling ADR cases both as an advocate and as a neutral.
Mr. Behr is regularly invited to write for legal and general-interest journals and to speak at international legal and business conferences. He is recognized as one of the leading intellectual property lawyers in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. Mr. Behr is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Trademark Mediators Network, which is the world’s only panel of trained mediators who focus on trademark and unfair competition law.
Mr. Behr, a dual U.S.-German national, is fluent in German and is a member of our German Practice, where he provides counsel to clients from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Mr. Behr was general counsel of w-Technologies, Inc. and Atari, Inc. (formerly GT Interactive Software Corp.).
- Provides ongoing anti-counterfeiting, trademark enforcement and other IP protection activities for leading European and American luxury and general-market brands.
- Represents major retailers in the implementation of strategic initiatives, including private label programs and development of new lines of business.
- Represented a major fashion label on the development of its worldwide licensing program.
- Represents companies in all aspects of complex technology transactions, including software development and licensing and hardware acquisition agreements.
- Provided full legal services in the development of massively multiplayer online games for, respectively, a major United States television network and a European-based entertainment group.
- Concluded licenses for hundreds of games for the launch and operation of a premier legacy games broadband network.
- Guided a major electronics company through its Western Hemisphere launch of its new hand-held wireless entertainment platform.
- Helped implement the launch of state-of-the-art game platforms and new mobile services for leading electronics and entertainment concerns.
- Represent print publishers, authors and literary agents in the development and publication of books and journals and in their transition to electronic publishing.
- Coordinate and implement legal compliance for promotions, including sweepstakes and contests, for consumer products companies.
- "Those Were The Days", New York Law Journal, September 21, 2015
- "When Your Art Becomes My Art", Inside magazine, published by the NYSBA Corporate Counsel Section, Winter 2013
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 1, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., April 27, 2012.
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 2, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., May 4, 2012.
For more information about Alan Behr, please visit our Publications and Media pages.
Peer Review Rating:
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property (2010, 2011, 2013 - 2015) in the New York Super Lawyers - Metro Edition
- Selected as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” in the areas of Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property Law and Trademark Law since 2009
Foreign Language Competencies: