Phillips Nizers Real Estate practice is diverse and wide-ranging. Members of our practice draw upon the experience of our colleagues within the Corporate & Business Law, Environmental, Land Use & Government Relations and Tax teams. Our clients include institutional and entrepreneurial real estate investors, real estate developers, including developers of affordable housing projects and brownfield sites, banks and other real estate lending institutions, landlords and tenants, corporate owner-occupants, and high net worth families. We represent clients whose portfolios include commercial (office), industrial, mixed-use, retail, hotels, cooperatives, condominiumsincluding special purpose condominiums, and multi-family properties.
Attorneys in our Real Estate and related practices are members of and serve in leadership capacities within professional, industry, bar and community associations enabling them to stay abreast of current trends, industry news and local laws. Their memberships include the City Bar of New York, the New York State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), and the Council of New York Cooperatives and Condominiums (CNYC).
Highlights of our experience include:
- Acquisition and sales of office, commercial and multi-family residential properties, including tax-deferred transactions under Internal Revenue Code §1031.
- Commercial real estate financing, including acquisition, construction, mezzanine, leasehold and permanent financing transactions, workout negotiations and restructurings on behalf of lenders, owners and tenants.
- Representation of cooperative housing corporations and residential and commercial condominium associations.
- Private and public offerings of real property investment interests.
- Retail, showroom, office, warehouse, triple net and other commercial leasing transactions on behalf of a broad spectrum of clients, including fashion and apparel designers, energy companies, medical practices, investment groups and real property owners.
- Zoning and other governmental regulation of land use, including licensing for restaurant and entertainment facilities.
- Tax certiorari proceedings and defense of eminent domain proceedings on behalf of real property owners and tenants.
- Estate planning for family-owned real estate, including creation of trusts, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies and structuring transactions, including gifts, annuities and sales.
- Residential real estate transactions on behalf of individuals, cooperative corporations and condominium sponsors.
We also have litigators who focus on real estate and finance litigation, including:
- Contentious and complex real estate foreclosure actions. Mezzanine and other secured loan foreclosures under the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Distressed real estate or debt transactions, including due diligence.
- Lawsuits on behalf of sellers and buyers or property owners and commercial tenants.
- Disputes involving lien priority, brokerage matters and cooperative and condominium laws.
- Partition and encroachment actions.
- Joint venture, partnership or limited liability company disputes, especially where primary business is related to real estate.
For information regarding our Co-operative and Condominium Team, please click here.