PRACTICESCorporate & Business Law
Intellectual Property, Fashion and Entertainment
German Practice (Deutsch)
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Ct. of Appeals, 2nd Cir.
Alan Behr is a partner in the Corporate & Business Law Department and Intellectual Property Practice, and chairman of the Fashion Practice at Phillips Nizer LLP. He is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Mr. Behr concentrates his practice on international intellectual property, fashion and entertainment law. He represents established and up-and-coming businesses and individuals in the fields of electronic entertainment, emerging technologies, publishing, fashion, and consumer products.As part of the firm’s active art practice, Mr. Behr represents artists, art galleries, art investors and collectors. A member of the American Society of Media Photographers (in his parallel role as a working photojournalist and fine-art photographer), Mr. Behr concentrates on defending the rights of photographers and photography rights holders. Clients range from important artists to newly emerging talent, as well as estates and trusts seeking to have art evaluated and sold.
In addition to his intellectual property and technology practice, Mr. Behr, a trained mediator, maintains an arbitration and mediation practice handling ADR cases both as an advocate and as a neutral.
Mr. Behr is regularly invited to write for legal and general-interest journals and to speak at international legal and business conferences. He is recognized as one of the leading intellectual property lawyers in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. Mr. Behr is a member of the International Trademark Association Panel of Trademark Mediators, which is the only panel of trained mediators in the world who focus on trademark and unfair competition law. He is also a member of the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (U.K.) Exchange Network, selected as an International Mediator, and a member of the Panel of Distinguished Neutrals for the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), acting as both an arbitrator and mediator for the trademark and entertainment law panels and general commercial panel.
Mr. Behr, a dual U.S.-German national, is fluent in German and is a member of our German Practice, where he provides counsel to clients from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Mr. Behr was general counsel of w-Technologies, Inc. and Atari, Inc. (formerly GT Interactive Software Corp.).
- "When malls were the disruptors of retail", Chain Store Age, September 20, 2017
- "Hightailing to Better Retailing Options", New York Law Journal, August 21, 2017
- "Those Were The Days", New York Law Journal, September 21, 2015
- "When Your Art Becomes My Art", Inside magazine, published by the NYSBA Corporate Counsel Section, Winter 2013
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 1, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., April 27, 2012.
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 2, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., May 4, 2012.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Adorama Events, "f/8 and See You in Court: Legal Issues in Photography" (June 21, 2017)
- Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition (IRCE), "Knock It Off! Tactics to Combat Counterfeits" (June 6 - 9, 2017)
Peer Review RatingAV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Fashion Law BlogThe Fashion Industry Law Blog, includes posts published by the members of the Fashion Law Practice of Phillips Nizer LLP and attorneys in other related practice areas.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) (Member, Panel of Trademark Mediators)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) (Member, Panel of Distinguished Neutrals)
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) (Member, Exchange Network, International Mediation)
- Copyright Society of the USA
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- International Association of Art Critics
- American Society of Media Photographers
- Video Game Bar Association
- French-American Chamber of Commerce (New York Chapter)
Foreign Language Competencies
- Selected by World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 as one of the leading professionals in Trademark Law for enforcement and litigation, and prosecution and strategy (New York; 2011 - Present)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property Law and Trademark Law (2009 - 2019)
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® - New York Metro Edition (Intellectual Property), (2010, 2011, 2013 - 2018)