Our dedicated Intellectual Property professionals protect, enforce and enhance the value of our clients’ creative works, ideas, names, logos, technology and other innovations around the world. Our clients include multinational corporations, middle-market companies, start-up ventures, small businesses, nonprofits and individuals.
We have broad experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in IP-related litigations and anti-counterfeiting proceedings, prosecuting trademarks and copyrights, negotiating licenses and other IP and entertainment-related agreements, and counseling on IP issues. In the corporate area, we work with our clients to realize value and expand market awareness by licensing intellectual property rights, and through the financing, acquisition and sale of copyright and trademark assets.
We are proud to offer highly sophisticated advice and representation on a cost-efficient basis and through alternative fee arrangements that work for our clients and for the firm.
Our IP services include:
- Litigating Copyright, Trademark, Trade Dress, Unfair Competition and Royalty Disputes. We have successfully litigated trademark, copyright, trade secret, unfair competition and advertising cases throughout the country. Our trademark practitioners have handled hundreds of matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board as well as Letters of Protest in the Solicitor’s Office. We also have substantial expertise in complex technology litigation, including disputes involving software ownership and use, technology-related contract and licensing issues, trade secrets, computer software development and other business technology systems. Our negotiating skills and diligent case development often lead to successful settlements without the need for protracted litigation.
- Fighting Counterfeits. We frequently litigate anti-counterfeiting and enforcement actions, especially in the clothing, accessory and jewelry industries. We maintain efficient systems to stop counterfeit goods here and abroad by recording trademarks with customs authorities, and we are prepared to mobilize quickly to bring and defend against requests for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions.
- Supervising International Portfolios. Through our experience and global network of foreign associates, we provide invaluable assistance in managing and searching IP rights not only in the U.S. but across the globe. Our network enhances our coordinated efforts to identify, protect and enforce our clients’ copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets in many jurisdictions at once.
- Registering Trademark, Copyrights and Domain Names. We counsel clients on the selection, registration, policing and assignment of trademarks representing product and business names, logos, designs, slogans and tag lines. We also obtain U.S. copyright protection for our clients’ literary works, visual art works, performing art works (including sound recordings and motion pictures), and new technology (including software). For more information on our copyright or trademark services, please click here.
- Negotiating Mergers, Acquisitions, Licenses and Other IP-Related Deals. We offer top-notch IP transactional services in the purchase and sale of businesses with critical IP assets, including IP due diligence, joint ventures involving the development of IP assets, licensing technology, copyrights, trademarks and right of publicity, and distribution deals in a broad range of industries including fashion, textiles and manufacturing. For more information on our corporate services, please click here.
- Brokering and Drafting Entertainment and Media Agreements. Our clients value our deep experience in the entertainment industry. We handle virtually all types of industry deals and agreements, including celebrity endorsement and sponsorship, music and book publishing, recording, character licensing, film finance, talent engagement, television and movie production option and non-disclosure agreements. For more information on our entertainment practice, please click here.
Charles P. LaPolla
Tod M. Melgar
Elizabeth A. Adinolfi
George R. Fearon
Helene M. Freeman
Thomas G. Jackson
Marc A. Landis
Karen A. Monroe
Jonathan R. Tillem
Andrew J. Tunick
Barry H. Fishkin