PRACTICESEmployment & Labor Law
ERISA and Employee Benefits
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Harvard University, A.B.
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Districts of Colorado, Massachusetts and Ohio
- U.S. Dist. Ct., EDNY
- U.S. Dist. Ct., NDNY
- U.S. Dist. Ct., SDNY
Evan J. Spelfogel
Evan J. Spelfogel is senior counsel in the Labor & Employment Law Practice representing management and benefit providers in all areas of employment law, labor and employee relations.After graduating from Harvard College and Columbia Law School, Evan served five years with the United States Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor and the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C., Boston, and New York.
Evan has served as an adjunct professor at Columbia Law School where he taught employment and labor law. He has also served as an adjunct professor at Baruch College of the City College of New York, as a lecturer in labor law at St. John's University and at annual labor and employment institutes of New York University, Southern Methodist University, Boston University and the University of Washington. He has written, edited and published numerous articles, books and book chapters on a broad range of issues, including wage and hour collective actions, comparable worth and pay equity, employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, retiree health care, plant closings and reductions in work force, e-mail and workplace privacy, union picketing and hand billing on private property, NLRB representation and unfair labor practice proceedings, the interaction of ERISA, the ADA and the NLRA, pregnancy disability, sexual harassment, employee benefits and alternative dispute resolution.
He is also an arbitrator and mediator, regularly serving on the panel lists for federal and state courts in New York and for the American Arbitration Association.
A former chair of the New York State Bar Association's (NYSBA) Labor & Employment Law Section, Evan is a lifetime member of its Executive Committee; in 2021 he became only the fourth person in over 40 years to be awarded that Section’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He is also Secretary and a member of the Executive Committee of the NYSBA's Dispute Resolution Section, and a member of the New York City Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Committee.
In addition, Evan was elected a fellow of both the New York State and American Bar Foundations in recognition of his distinguished achievement, dedication to the legal profession, commitment to the organized bar and service to the public. He was also elected to the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers as a Fellow, the highest recognition by one's colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence.
Evan has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (1995 to 2021) in the fields of Employment Law—Management and Labor Law—Management and has been included on the New York Metro Super Lawyers list (2006 to 2021) in the areas of Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense, Employee Benefits and Alternative Dispute Resolution. He received the 2014 Samuel M. Kaynard Award in recognition of his strong ideals, keen legal acumen, and outstanding contributions to the fields of labor and employment law. In addition, Evan is currently listed in Who's Who in America; Who's Who in American Education; Who's Who in Industry and Finance; Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers and Who's Who in the World.
Recent Publication Highlights
- "500 Years of Legal Experience" Super Lawyers New York Metro 2020
- “The Enforceability of Class Action Waivers,” NYSBA Labor and Employment Law Journal, Spring 2017
- “Permissible Coordinated Action by Employers in Labor Negotiations,” ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law, Winter 2015
Peer Review Rating
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Arbitration Association, National Panel of Labor Arbitrators
- American Bar Association: Charter Member, Dispute Resolution Section
- American Bar Association: past Council Member, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- American Bar Association: Section Delegate, ABA House of Delegates
- New York City Bar Association, Labor and Employment, Employee Benefits and Enhance Diversity Committees
- New York State Bar Association: Charter Member, Secretary, Dispute Resolution Section
- New York State Bar Association: Co-Founder, Past Chair, Lifetime Executive Committee Member, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- New York State Bar Association: Section Delegate to the NYSBA House of Delegates
- New York State Bar Association: Special Committee on the New York State Bar Examination