Alan Behr is a partner in the Corporate & Business Law Department and Intellectual Property Practice, and chairman of the Fashion Practice at Phillips Nizer LLP. He is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Mr. Behr concentrates his practice on international intellectual property, fashion and entertainment law. He represents established and up-and-coming businesses and individuals in the fields of electronic entertainment, emerging technologies, publishing, fashion, and consumer products.
As part of the firm’s active art practice, Mr. Behr represents artists, art galleries, art investors and collectors. A member of the American Society of Media Photographers (in his parallel role as a working photojournalist and fine-art photographer), Mr. Behr concentrates on defending the rights of photographers and photography rights holders. Clients range from important artists to newly emerging talent, as well as estates and trusts seeking to have art evaluated and sold.
In addition to his intellectual property and technology practice, Mr. Behr, a trained mediator, maintains an arbitration and mediation practice handling ADR cases both as an advocate and as a neutral.
Mr. Behr is regularly invited to write for legal and general-interest journals and to speak at international legal and business conferences. He is recognized as one of the leading intellectual property lawyers in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. Mr. Behr is a member of the International Trademark Association Panel of Trademark Mediators
, which is the only panel of trained mediators in the world who focus on trademark and unfair competition law. He is also a member of the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
(U.K.) Exchange Network, selected as an International Mediator, and a member of the Panel of Distinguished Neutrals for the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), acting as both an arbitrator and mediator for the trademark and entertainment law panels and general commercial panel.
Mr. Behr, a dual U.S.-German national, is fluent in German and is a member of our German Practice, where he provides counsel to clients from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Prior to joining Phillips Nizer, Mr. Behr was general counsel of w-Technologies, Inc. and Atari, Inc. (formerly GT Interactive Software Corp.).
- Provides ongoing anti-counterfeiting, trademark enforcement and other IP protection activities for leading European and American luxury and general-market brands.
- Represents major retailers in the implementation of strategic initiatives, including private label programs and development of new lines of business.
- Represented a major fashion label on the development of its worldwide licensing program.
- Represents companies in all aspects of complex technology transactions, including software development and licensing and hardware acquisition agreements.
- Provided full legal services in the development of massively multiplayer online games for, respectively, a major United States television network and a European-based entertainment group.
- Concluded licenses for hundreds of games for the launch and operation of a premier legacy games broadband network.
- Guided a major electronics company through its Western Hemisphere launch of its new hand-held wireless entertainment platform.
- Helped implement the launch of state-of-the-art game platforms and new mobile services for leading electronics and entertainment concerns.
- Represent print publishers, authors and literary agents in the development and publication of books and journals and in their transition to electronic publishing.
- Coordinate and implement legal compliance for promotions, including sweepstakes and contests, for consumer products companies.
- "When malls were the disruptors of retail", Chain Store Age, September 20, 2017
- "Hightailing to Better Retailing Options", New York Law Journal, August 21, 2017
- "Those Were The Days", New York Law Journal, September 21, 2015
- "When Your Art Becomes My Art", Inside magazine, published by the NYSBA Corporate Counsel Section, Winter 2013
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 1, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., April 27, 2012.
- "Appropriation Of Photos: Where To Draw The Line" — Part 2, Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., May 4, 2012.
Recent Speaking Engagements:
For more information about Alan Behr, please visit our Publications and Media pages.
Peer Review Rating:
- Selected by World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 as one of the leading professionals in Trademark Law for enforcement and litigation, and prosecution and strategy (New York; 2011 - Present)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property Law and Trademark Law (2009 - 2019)
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers® - New York Metro Edition (Intellectual Property), (2010, 2011, 2013 - 2018)
Fashion Law Blog:
- The Fashion Industry Law Blog, includes posts published by the members of the Fashion Law Practice of Phillips Nizer LLP and attorneys in other related practice areas.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) (Member, Panel of Trademark Mediators)
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) (Member, Exchange Network, International Mediation)
- Copyright Society of the USA
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
International Association of Art Critics
American Society of Media Photographers
Video Game Bar Association
French-American Chamber of Commerce (New York Chapter)
Foreign Language Competencies: