Our Technology professionals provide a broad array of services to clients in the e-commerce, health care, telecommunications, on-line services, publishing, entertainment and software development fields, and we represent a variety of clients in other industries in connection with technology-related matters.
We assist clients with various technology-related commercial matters, including technology-based acquisitions, technical service agreements, website development agreements, professional service agreements, software licensing (including enterprise software and technology), acquisitions of software and services for e-commerce sites, agreements between brand owners and shopping sites, content sharing agreements for e-commerce sites, and the day-to-day aspects of organizing, operating and expanding technology-related businesses.
We help clients acquire intellectual property rights and clear and register trademarks in the United States and foreign countries. We also provide counseling on copyright issues, rights of publicity and privacy, general patent counseling, and the protection of trade secrets and proprietary technology in such diverse fields as fashion, entertainment, publishing, software development and marketing and e-commerce.
Clients of our technology group have included:
- A major designer, wholesaler and marketer of apparel, footwear and accessories in its technology-related transactions, software development and services contracts for its e-commerce sites, licensing agreements with software developers and providers, including enterprise software, the outsourcing of the development of software applications to a joint venture partially owned by the client, and agreements with service providers to provide a variety of products and services for information technology infrastructure and websites.
- A major software company in preparing license agreements, outsourcing agreements, agreements with third-party developers and software distributors, non-disclosure agreements and handling litigation involving the unauthorized use of its software.
- A major hospital in the preparation and negotiation of a Master Software License and Services Agreement involving the developing of enterprise software for the client.
- A software developer for a subcontractor to a major mail and telephone order music distributor to establish a music-related kiosk site.
- A software company in documenting a content provider/site development agreement with a major cable television multi-system operator in connection with its cable modem service.
- A major internet services provider in negotiating and licensing third-party content, its obligations to subscribers and subpoena compliance issues under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), Internet access, content blocking and telecommunications issues and a variety of technology-related litigations.
- An on-line service company in a negotiating and documenting joint content development agreements and related financial arrangements with regard to subscription and advertising revenues.
- The owner-operators of a travel-based website in the sale of an Internet domain name for use by a large entertainment company.
- A major fashion magazine publisher in the development of its website.
- A large brand owner in the negotiation of agreements for the establishment of a shopping site linked to its website.
- A newspaper publisher and content provider in negotiating and drafting a web site development agreement and in advising it on issues relating to permissions and uses, copyright, trademarks, moral rights provisions under international law, content provider/publisher liability issues, attribution of content issues, and division of advertising revenues.