Matrimonial & Family Law
Our highly respected Matrimonial and Family Law professionals use their individual and collective abilities to guide clients through difficult and emotional familial challenges.
In all matrimonial and family matters, our goal is to achieve optimal results in a cost-effective manner, including through negotiated settlements whenever possible. We have deep experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes such as mediation; our attorneys are certified collaborative lawyers and our department chair is trained in divorce mediation. Although we are proud of our success at negotiating resolutions, we also act as fierce advocates for our clients in matters where litigation is unavoidable.
Our services include:
Divorce, Equitable Distribution of Property and Support
- We handle complex issues of equitable distribution of property and spousal and child support.
- We work closely with our Tax, Trusts & Estates, Corporate, and Real Estate practice groups to navigate the rules and regulations of federal and state tax laws, retirement accounts, stock options, family partnerships, closely-held businesses, as well as professional practices and licenses.
Child Custody and Visitation
- Some of our professionals are certified Law Guardians who have represented hundreds of parents and children in court proceedings, and who have proven success in dealing with expert mental health testimony in custody and visitation matters.
- We handle proceedings involving grandparents wishing to maintain legally protected relationships with grandchildren.
Prenuptial, Postnuptial and Cohabitation Agreements
- We have substantial experience preparing prenuptial, postnuptial and cohabitation agreements.
- We work with attorneys in our Trusts & Estates group to counsel individuals to protect and manage the affairs and assets of individuals who are temporarily or permanently unable to oversee their own concerns.
Adoption, Child Custody and Mental Hygiene Law Guardianship Proceedings
- We handle private adoptions, agency adoptions and overseas adoptions, including immigration issues that may arise in overseas adoptions.
- We counsel clients in Mental Hygiene Law, Guardianship and matters involving incapacitated individuals.
- We defend foster parents and family members who desire to adopt children they have cared for, either voluntarily or appointment by the court.
Child Maltreatment, Neglect, and Abuse
- We are experienced in defending individuals charged with child sexual and physical abuse and neglect.
Elliot Weiner, the chair of our New York Matrimonial and Family Law department, is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, is the co-chair of the Matrimonial Law Section of the New York County Lawyers Association, and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Jan L. Bernstein, the chair of our New Jersey Matrimonial and Family Law Department was appointed to five New Jersey Supreme Court Committees and has served on the Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, is past Chair of the Women’s Rights Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, was a member of the Editorial Board of the New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and was on the Board of Directors of the New Jersey Lawyer newspaper. She has spoken at multiple conferences and seminars on the topics of family law and gender issues and has authored numerous articles, one of which is cited in NJ Statutes Annotated, entitled “Moving On After Moving In: The Case for Including Unmarried Partners in New Jersey Family Law.” Jan is in our Hackensack, NJ office; she is also available to meet in Morristown, NJ and New York City.