Land Use and Government Relations
Our Land Use and Government Relations attorneys incorporate broad business and litigation experience into our government relations advocacy. Our professionals include a former NYC elected official, a former special assistant to a NYS Commissioner, a former NYC Assistant Commissioner, and a former aide to a US Senator.
We provide services at the Federal, State and City levels, including:
Land Use, Economic and Real Estate Development
- Land use and zoning matters before the NYC Planning Commission, Nassau and Suffolk County Planning Commissions, and a variety of Long Island municipalities.
- Industrial Development Authority tax exempt bond financings and Long Island municipal governments, municipal planning departments and health departments.
- Variance applications before the NYC Board of Standards & Appeals, Nassau and Suffolk County Planning Commissions and various Long Island municipal planning departments.
- Permit applications before the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, US Army Corp of Engineers, NYC Landmarks Commission, and Nassau and Suffolk Departments of Health.
- Transactions with NYC Housing Development Corporation.
- Representation of companies in various disposition programs administered by the NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development, HUD, Nassau County Office of Housing and Intergovernmental Affairs, and various municipal Community Development Agencies throughout Long Island.
Government Procurement of Goods, Services and Property
- Presenting Responses to Proposals before the NYC Economic Development Corporation, Department of Housing Preservation & Development, Long Island Community Development Agencies and other municipal entities.
- Obtaining real estate tax exemptions and filing Payments in Lieu of Taxes applications with the NYC Department of Finance and Housing Preservation and Development, Nassau County legislature, Nassau County Department of Assessment, and various Industrial Development Agencies.
- Lease negotiations with the NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services.
- Prevailing wage proceedings before the NYC Comptroller and NYS Department of Labor.
- Real estate tax certiorari proceedings before the NYC Tax Commission, Corporation Counsel and various State Courts.
- Licensing municipal intellectual property.
Identifying and Securing Funds for Redevelopment Projects
- Federal member items from U.S. Senate and House of Representatives for funding needs such as land acquisition; storm water abatement; sewer planning, design and construction; road planning, design and construction; dredging; bulkhead construction; ecosystem/habitat restoration; neighborhood infrastructure, etc.
- Competitive grants for funding, including NYSDEC Brownfield Cleanup and Environmental Restoration Programs; USEPA Revolving Loan Fund and Site Assessments; HUD Brownfields Economic Development Initiative and Section 108 Guaranteed Loans; NYS DOS Brownfield Area Opportunity; NYS Bond Act funds for various infrastructure improvements; U.S. Army Corps of Engineers authorities for coastal redevelopment and habitat restoration; Trust for Public Lands funding for property acquisition and public access to waterfronts, etc.
Licensing, Regulation and Disciplinary Matters
- Federal litigation on behalf of telecommunications companies against the City of New York regarding pay phone permits.
- Licensing proceedings before the NYC Trade Waste Commission on behalf of national waste carting company.
- Broker disciplinary proceedings, licensing proceedings and rate hearings before the NYS Insurance Department.
- Trade practice investigations conducted by the NYS Attorney General.
- Proceedings before the U.S. Customs Service and the U.S. Trade Representative.
- License applications before the NYS Liquor Authority.
Political Action Committees, Election Law and Public Affairs Advocacy
- Registration and administration of federal, state and local political action committees for businesses and candidates, including campaign finance compliance.
- Representing candidates for public office in ballot access and certification proceedings, including election law litigation at the state and federal level.
- Parliamentary procedure and the conduct of meetings and conventions.
- Representation at public hearings at federal, state and city level.
- Representation of Public Bodies and Public Officials.
- Counsel to public officials in public integrity investigations.
- Environmental counsel to City of New York in connection with development of the plan for the closure of the Fresh Kills landfill.
- Litigating constitutionality of provisions of NYC Charter.
First Amendment and Freedom of Information Litigation
- FOIA requests, appeals and litigation at the federal, state and city level.
- Slander and libel litigation.
|Christian B. Hylton
Kevin B. McGrath
Martin B. Wasser
Peter J. Scandariato